4.30.2006

Galatians 1:6-12
I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who in his love and mercy called you to share the eternal life he gives through Christ. You are already following a different way that pretends to be the Good News but is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who twist and change the truth concerning Christ.

Let God's curse fall on anyone, including myself, who preaches any other message than the one we told you about. Even if an angel comes from heaven and preaches anyother message, let him be forever cursed. I will say it again: If anyone preaches any other gospel than the one you welcomed, let God's curse fall upon that person.

Obviously, I'm not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant.

Dear brothers, I solemnly assure you that the Good News of salvation which I preach is not based on mere human reasoning or logic. For my message came by a direct revelation from Jesus Christ himself. No one else taught me.

It is clear to me that there are many different gospels being preached in our churches today. We have the health, wealth, and prosperity gospel. We have the legalistic gospel. We have the unverisalist gospel. We have the, you are loved the way you are, gospel. To be sure, the is a different gospel for each and every itching ear there is. There are many different gods that have been created in our image and many different ideas concerning Christ. The one thing in common with these is that they are trying to please men. They most definitely are not trying to please God and in most cases they face little or no opposition from the secular world. True Christianity though is another story. The true Gospel is being attacked constantly, the followers of this Gospel are being persecuted and are promised persecution. It is not something that was thought of from the mind of man, which explains why there are so many mysteries in the Bible that we could never come close to fully comprehending. There is however sufficient and plentiful amounts of evidence to support the Bible and its teachings, though those of the world will always think of it as foolishness.

We, as many of you probably do, are often on the receiving end of "Christian" forwards. These almost never preach the true gospel along with repentance and faith but rather have some picture with a faded out image of Christ or have a short story that is supposed to convey some Christian sentiment. At the end of many of these is the saying "If you are ashamed of me I will be ashamed of you before my Father" However this is not the true verse.
Mark 8:38
If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."

However, the second part "and my words" gets cut off and the reason for this is surely that the words of Jesus are very often left out of such e-mails. This could be a feel good message for people of many faiths because there are many faiths that believe in Jesus or believe in some of the moral things that Christians do, however the Gospel is cut off and therefore sending such forwards is in fact not something to be proud of but rather something we should ask ourselves if we should be sending, especially to non-Christians.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica,

I just found this posting of your blog after doing a search for "If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father." in Google.

I did this search because I received one of the emails that your post was talking about and could not believe that those were the true words of Gospel.

I don't know if you'll receive this comment as you wrote your blog entry so long ago but I wanted to thank you for your entry. It helped me, my faith, and my relationship with God!

June 04, 2008 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...I also found this blog by doing a search for the phrase "If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father" in Google. And I, too, thought that something didn't sound right. Thank you for clarifying that. In fact, the version I received had "Yashua said." That's what really threw me off. Yeshua, not "Yashua" is a name used in the Hebrew tradition, Old Testament. So, it truly could not be the Word of God in this email. Yes, we really do need to be careful of emails like this. I tried editing the message so that it would be appropriate to forward, but I found there were so many words that needed changed that I decided it wasn't worth my time. Ironic...the subject line was "Do you have Time for God?" My answer is "Yes, I have time for God...and the Word of God...and His Son Jesus, my savior." But I don't have time for wishy-washy emails like this one...and certainly would not feel comfortable sharing it with anyone, let alone true Christians. Thank you for posting this message!

June 23, 2008 7:19 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Anonymous and John K.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It is quite encouraging that you found this post even though I wrote it over 2 years ago. I am glad that you have researched these things, as so many do not and just hit the forward button!

June 23, 2008 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this post searching just as in the previous two comments. Thank you Monica for taking the time to maintain such a meaningful blog. I'm sure it's influence goes far beyond those that actually post responses.

November 07, 2008 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home