3.06.2008

Marriage

There has been something weighing on my heart lately. I know I probably should not be, but I am rather shocked at how people think that marriage is something you venture into for a season and when it is no longer comfortable or beneficial they throw it away. Upon finding out someone that had been married for 13 years and had 3 children decided they no longer wanted to be married to one another - I became very grieved and it has been something I have thought about often ever since.

I, sadly, have come to expect this type of thing from the Hollywood circle and even the secular one, but it is so hard for me to see it in the Christian community. While flipping the channels with my husband last night we landed on "The Moment of Truth" game show. The only question we had it on long enough to see was "Do you think you will be married to your husband for the rest of your life?". We did not see the response, but I couldn't help but wonder why they would even ask a question like that! If your answer is not yes then you have no business being married in the first place. I do understand there are circumstances in which staying married is not an option, in cases of abuse, adultery and if it is an unbeliever and believer and the unbelieving spouse no longer wants to be married, but in every other situation it should be understood that it will be worked through and divorce should never even come up.

Every time I see my husband I think of him in light of the fact that this is the man I love, this is the man I married, this is the man God has given to me and I will be with him for the rest of my life. Knowing this gives me such joy. No, things are not always perfect. However, if you are seeking God, if you are focused on Him as a Christian obviously should be, how can you just throw away a marriage because of some disagreement or you "fell out of love" or whatever the reason may be? Being married as a Christian means that you think of the other person, you find joy in their joy, you want to glorify God with this very sacred union.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home