3.31.2005

Content

Philippians 4:11-13

11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I hear the last verse quoted quite often in the Christian community, and rightly so, but it is often forgotten the context in which it was given. God has been teaching me many things regarding this lately, and it seems to go hand in hand with:

Proverbs 3:5-7

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.


These have given me much comfort since becoming a Christian, however I realize that I all too often start leaning on my own understanding and looking at my present circumstance. It is when I have the rug pulled out from underneath me that I start to realize just how far I have come from where I am supposed to be. Things have not been easy for us in many areas the past few years. However, I am aware that it is all in answer to many prayers that I have prayed. Daily I ask God to mold me into the person He wants me to be, a person who is bold in their faith, a woman who is able to be a crown to her husband, a mother who is godly and raises a child who will go the right way when he leaves our home, etc. These trials are molding me into that person, ever so slowly it seems. We really do have to just give it over to God and in all things seek Him and His will. To lean on our own understanding is always detrimental to a key part in the Christian faith...we are no longer content with what He has seen fit to put into our lives and our paths become anything but straight. I have many times ended up going in circles all because I forgot these things. I'm sure if I were to look back on the path of my life very few parts would be straight...there would be many curves, circles, and even backtracking. This grieves me, but I know God is making me increasingly Christ-like and He is making me holy as we go through these difficult times so all I can say is thank you for answering my prayers in such an awesome way!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you're still blogging and living your faith! I read the scripture from Philippians with new eyes after reading your blog today and I needed that.

Thank you...

Ninian

April 02, 2005 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home