2.28.2005

Sacred Name Movement

Having a family member involved in this cult has made me want to inform others about it. There are many things that seperate this group from Christians. The one that they emphasize the most is the use of the sacred names Yahweh and Yeshua. They see our Jesus as an idol and some would even venture to say that we are following the antichrist! They do not stop there. They also believe all truly saved people will celebrate the feast days and follow the dietary and other laws of the Old Testament. Of course, they pick and choose which of these they want to follow. They claim that when it says that these things will be done for generations to come it means that we are never to stop doing them. However, they fail to acknowledge that all of these laws (save the 10 Commandments, given to show us that we are sinners) were given in order to make the people acceptable to God. We have now been given that through the sacrifice of His only Son! I am not saying that it is wrong for them to do these things, as I know it speaks of the believer who thinks they must do such things, however I have a big problem with the way they attach so much onto salvation. They say we must do this and that as though we are still trying to earn our salvation on our own merit! Every time I speak to my brother I can tell that he looks down on me and thinks I am going straight to hell because I do not use the sacred names (I have no objection to those who do, mind you) and I do not eat the right foods and I vaccinate my child(ren), etc. In an earlier conversation I had with him he told me that I should not be praying to God because there are many gods. I said my God has a capital G. His response was "How does He know that?". Of course, I replied..."He knows everything! How could He not know I am speaking to Him or praising Him or worshipping Him?" I am aware of the Scripture that says not to do things that would make a weaker brother fall. We must be careful (I now use the words Heavenly Father and the Son, etc.) but we cannot allow someone to distort the gospel message and attach things onto the grace and mercy and love of God given to us through the death of His Son! There are many more details on this cult that are disturbing, and I pray time allows me to edit this post in the near future and add more to it, but I wanted to get this out there while it was on my mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Monica, that just breaks my heart. :( To me your post is very related to mine today. The Bible is clear on this subject for those who have ears to hear. ((HUG)) I pray that your brother would stop adding things to the finished work of Christ.

February 28, 2005 12:54 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Thanks for commenting on this post, Kristen. It has been rough with him, and there is much more to this cult that he is involved in but I pray he will open his heart to the real truth.

March 27, 2005 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home