1.12.2010

A Humble Heart

I am in absolute awe at what God has accomplished in the last year. We went through six surgeries in twelve months, the most recent occurring in November. One over-riding theme throughout the entire year has been the need for humility. A humble heart, a willing heart, and a heart of servitude. A heart that allows itself to be led by the Holy Spirit in a way that does not necessarily always go along with "reason". In recent weeks I have been struck with one thing inparticular about being humble. For so many Christians, we state the gospel message or speak of the Cross to our children, or sing worship songs in church about the sacrifice of Christ and still it merely passes over our lips and does not penetrate our hearts. Every single time we think about the mercy that was extended to us, it should have an instant humbling effect on us. That is the one thing in which we cannot boast. That is where humility starts and perhaps the only thing which can bring us into a total attitude of humility, willingness, and servitude with no hint of pride. The Cross is emphasized, but in all honesty it tends to lose its effect on most Christians as time passes. It is something that we are aware of, something that we know, and therefore we do not let it do its humbling work within us as it did when we first heard the wonderful news of the gospel! I tend to think that this is the very reason why when we are first saved we want to tell everyone, but as time passes so does the urgency. Should the impact of the Cross wane like this? It is a pity that it has. As I come before Him, I must come to Him empty of anything I might think that I can bring and in order to do that I must be aware of how unworthy I am and what an amazing sacrifice was made on my behalf. Surely, he has taken my head which is so downcast and lifted it up as only He can do! May we all give the Cross the adequate reverance and thought to allow it to penetrate the deepest parts of us and truly become a humble servant of Christ!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethany LaShell said...

Sounds like you've been through a lot lately. Thanks for visiting my blog & commenting. I've noted your opinion and will address it soon. In the meantime, check out the post called "Contain Your Containers."

January 16, 2010 5:00 PM  
Blogger Bethany LaShell said...

What a testimony to your faith & God's grace! Thanks for sharing your story.

You're welcome for the craft container organizing help. I'm glad you found the post useful. Sometimes all it takes is a different perspective.

January 27, 2010 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home