2.13.2008

Frugally jumping into Cloth Diapering

The price of diapers is outrageous these days. If you buy one of those "jumbo" packs at the store they are easily ten dollars or more. We have went the Sam's club route for the last four years but even that at 30.00 a box sure adds up. I wanted to do cloth with my first and also with my second but we were in a drought and I allowed that to deter me. This time I decided to go for it. I had my mom sew up five fleece diaper covers and I was give a dozen prefold diapers when my son was born. The person who gave them to me had intended them to be burp cloths, but I never used them as such. I had also bought two all in one diapers off of ebay for about eight dollars each when my daughter was small. Some people say you need to spend three hundred dollars to start doing cloth. We do cloth during the day and disposables at night. So, instead of going through forty two diapers in a week we go through seven. I save the all in ones for when we are going out to the store or someplace because I know that they can handle three hours out on the town whereas the prefolds aren't quite so practical for that. The fleece diaper covers are working out well for around the house. I let her go in just the diaper because if it is compressed it tends to wick onto clothing.

I just wanted to do this post because when I was researching it I was quickly discouraged by the cost. It seemed easier and, in the short term, cheaper to just be in disposables. We were able to start up for less than a box of diapers at Sam's. We spent 16.00 on the all in ones, about 6.00 on the materials for the diaper covers, and the prefolds were a gift (they usually run about 12.00 at Walmart or Target). Granted, these only last me a day and a half so I have to do a quick load of wash each night but since I am able to set it on Extra Small load and only use a very small amount of detergent (probably a tablespoon) that doesn't add up to be very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home