7.17.2006

This is my way, and that is your way...

Something my son said this morning shocked me. He learned how to cut using scissors yesterday and has been obsessed with cutting up paper ever since. He was holding the scissors with his thumb and one finger, making it impossible to close the scissors without pushing them closed with his opposite hand. I tried to show him to use his thumb and two fingers and then he would be able to close them without risking the possibility of him cutting his hand. He then told me, "No mommy, this is my way and that is your way. It's okay for me to have my own way and you to have your own way." Now, this may seem like no big deal, but to me it spoke volumes as to what he is learning even in the few television shows I allow him to watch (that is the only way I am able to take a shower). From such an early age they are taught that there are many different ways to do things and that is okay. There are alternatives to many things, but there are far more where there is a right way and a wrong way and for him, at three, to be defying that fact is scary to me. He was adamant that his way was not wrong and that he could continue to do it that way, he did not care that I have much more experience in this area than he does and that I was telling him the correct way so that he would not harm himself. Afterall, he was doing it "his own way" and that was "okay". After much struggle with the child, he gave in and admitted that the right way was much better and has been doing it that way ever since. It takes such strength as a parent to be consistent and stick with it on little things like this, which may seem like they have no bearing on anything, but be encouraged that what you do in the little things has a huge impact on who your child will become and whom he/she will follow (God or the world).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home