6.01.2006

Memorization

It is becoming increasingly clear to me how vital it is to have God's word etched in your heart and your mind. Memorization is key here so that we can recall these verses at any given moment and it will hopefully lead us back into wisdom of doing what is right rather than falling into temptation. I have started working on this with our three year old, not really sure what to expect. He is doing great and has already memorized Ephesians 6:1, Psalm 116:1 and Acts 4:12. I have tried to explain to him in his terms what each one means and though he might not grasp them entirely it amazes me to think that he is already knowing the word of God better than I did up until several years ago! The other day we were drawing on his chalkboard, and I drew the three crosses and was telling him that the other two men who were crucified with Jesus had sinned but that Jesus had never sinned and he said to me, " but Jesus prayed to God that if He could to take His cross off of Him" He must have been told this in Sunday school because I had never went over that with him. It just amazed me that he remembered this and put it in the right context from just hearing it once in a Bible story at church! Oh how we should lead these little ones unto Him!

3 Comments:

Blogger Joshua Ritchie said...

It is becoming increasingly clear to me how vital it is to have God's word etched in your heart and your mind.

That is sweet. Our youth ministry leaders and I just started discussing how we can do this better with our students. We're excited to see what God will do with His people as they commit to really have His word embedded in their hearts.

June 02, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Salar37_Shushan said...

I absolutely agree. As the Bible says::

"Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee."

Scripture-based songs can really help with that. I went to a church as a young'un that sang little else. Even ones I haven't heard in years will suddenly come back to mind at important moments.

Lamb, Michael Card, Keith Green, and John Michael Talbot's have some great scripture-based cds!

Susan :)

June 05, 2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Thank you both for commenting. I apologize that it has taken me so long to respond.

Joshua - It is great to know that someone like you is impacting our youth for Christ!

Shushan - we use music constantly here in memorization, it is something that my son picks up very quickly and as you said, it sticks with you even when you aren't aware of it!

July 17, 2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home